Tuesday 2 July 2013

The Yorkshire Sculpture Park

Recently, I went on an Art Fund trip to the Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield, Yorkshire, and the near-by Yorkshire Sculpture Park (YSP).

I'm afraid it didn't occur to me to take photos of the buildings there, which is a shame as they're very nice, but you're going to have to do without. Also, photography wasn't permitted at the exhibition in their indoor gallery, which was also a shame as it was terrific. Called Fabric-ation, by Yinka Shonibare, it's interesting and thought-provoking, and great fun at the same time, and his use of fabric is wonderful.

Part of it was outside and so photographable, though:


Time was very tight and I had to rush round without seeing everything, so this is just a quick overview of what did see.  Next time I go, I'd like to spend a whole day there - it certainly warrants it.

In the beautiful setting of the the formal garden was an exhibition of work by Hans Josephsohn:


Joan Miro:


Molecule Man 1+1+1, by Jonathan Borofsky:


The Family of Man, by Barbara Hepworth, which I loved - it's very serene, somehow:


Buddha, by Niki de Saint Phalle, which I didn't like at all. It looks like a cyclops dressed as a Mexican wrestler:


Nelly, Mark di Suvero:


I don't know, I couldn't find a label:


Damski Czepek, Ursula von Rydingsvard - it looks like a lace bonnet:


Seated Figures, Magdalena Abakanowicz:


Sitting, Sophie Ryder:


Another unknown:


Promenade, Anthony Caro:


Possibly another Caro, I'm not sure:


Invasion, Michael Zwingmann - it looks very like those plastic-wrapped bales of hay you see in fields!


123454321, Sol LeWitt


There was then a game of Hunt the Gormley. According to the map, I was in the right area, but where was it?  Look up!

One and Other, Antony Gormley:


Tread Pad Pair 1, James Capper:


Part of Bee Library, though I missed the artist's name:


Definitely not sculpture!


Seventy One Steps, David Nash


Uptight Motives 1, 2 and 3, by Henry Moore (with added sheep):


The YSP has a large collection of Moore's work, but I'd run out of time so these were all I had the chance to see.  Definitely a reason for going back.

And finally, a farewell view over the lake to the magnificent Emley Moor tower:


No comments:

Post a Comment