Thursday 14 February 2013

Carved stone dogs - a bit more work


Having got my carved stone dogs finished off, I noticed the same thing as I did when I first did Wow: unless the light is on it just right, to cast a shadow, the design can all but disappear. So, I decided to do the same thing as I did then: paint it.

As before, I primed the surface of the stone with a sealer meant for stone tiles - it's colourless and matt, and so doesn't show up at all, but will stop the paint from sinking into the stone.  I then applied a layer of gesso to the areas to be painted:


As you can see, that's all the carved areas; the intention is to leave the uncarved design as the natural stone.

I'm using the same light gold acrylic paint as for Wow (well I like gold!), and did the fiddly bits in the centre first, with a fine brush:


Then the outline of the dogs:


Then finished off the rest of the background:


It looks quite yellow in the photo, though in real life it does have a proper shine to it.

The design certainly stands out better now!


I think this might turn into embroidery...

No comments:

Post a Comment