Monday 4 April 2011

A few flower photos

I may have mentioned this before, but I have a new camera!

I'm in grave danger of becoming a camera bore to my nearest and dearest, and now you, but I don't care - I just love it.  For the record, it's a Sony NEX-3, which is sort of baby DSLR: SLR quality, but with the sort of hand-holding and automated functions you'd expect from a more basic point-and-click camera.  Which is absolutely perfect for me - I'd wanted much better quality photos than I've been producing from my old, and pretty basic, camera, but don't have the first clue about shutter speeds and apertures and whatnot.  With this one, you can set all of that stuff yourself if you so wish, but if the thought of that makes you want to burst into tears, it'll do it all for you.  (Even better - I got a really good deal on it in the shop.  Quite a bit of money off, and lots of freebies thrown in!  It pays to haggle.)

I haven't taken it out and about yet, though I'm really looking forward to doing that.  In the meantime, though, here are a few trial photos of flowers in my home and garden - click on the photo to see a larger version.

Firstly, an orchid on my dining room table:


Some primroses:


A late snowdrop:


And a few pics of a couple of pieris bushes.  White flowers:


A mass of red bracts and green leaves:


Some of the bracts in close-up:


And bracts and flowers


I'm thrilled with how they've turned out, I really am.  These are by far the best photos I've ever taken.  I've always known how I wanted my photos to look, but they never did, so I was always disappointed with them, and came to regard photography as a means to an end - some images I could work up into a design - rather than an end in itself.  All of a sudden, things have changed.  I think I've found a new hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment