Saturday 17 October 2009

Stained glass

The parade of plumbers, heating engineers and window fitters have now left the house, for the time being at least, and things are getting back to normal. The highlight of the recent work was getting stained glass panels in the living room windows.


Aren't they fab! I'm really pleased. They were inspired by the work of Leonard Evetts, especially a window in a church in Newcastle, illustrated in a book on his work:


They were designed and made by Bill Hodgson from Abbey Restoration, as part of new timber framed double-glazed sash windows. The old windows were about a hundred years old, and were broken and draughty; the new windows throughout the house should last another hundred, and be a lot warmer and quieter!

Regular readers may want to know that the banner project is going to have to be put on hold for a while. I'm not sure when it'll be back, but when it is, I'll let you know. In the mean time, I'll be working on other projects, so I'll still have plenty to write about.

3 comments:

  1. The windows are stunning. You will enjoy them for many years to come, they add personality to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning is the word I was going to use..its the only one. So lovely and original. We have 100 year old windows but have only been able to replace upstairs and the new timber ones are very draughty. Its a problem. I wish I was near Sunderland!
    I am answering your question on Harris Tweed..I got it from a weaver in Harris of course!It wasn't easy. I got in touch with the Harris Tweed Authority who put me onto a couple about five years ago. Then when I wanted more it was a lot more difficult.
    I love your step by step progress on the dragon piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie! That's a shame about your new windows - I've been very lucky with mine.

    The Harris Tweed Authority - why didn't I think of that! I can well believe that it's more difficult to get now, though - I don't know of you saw it, but there was an excellent 3-part documentary on BBC4 on the Harris tweed industry, and it was pretty depressing. BBC4 always repeat things, so if you haven't seen it, it's worth keeping an eye out for. Let's hope the weavers of this fabulous fabric can weather the storm.

    ReplyDelete