Tuesday 15 September 2009

Appliqué detail - legs of the cross

I'm now working on appliqué detail down the legs of the cross. This is in exactly the same fabric and technique as described previously, so I won't go over it all again. Here's how the completed first leg looks, anyway:

Mary Corbet suggested a different technique for the appliqué shapes, and I'd been considering having a go at a different one again (the discussion is in the comments to the post I mentioned above, if you're interested), but I'm afraid I rather cravenly stuck to my original method. I'm telling myself that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I do intend giving the alternatives a try. Just maybe when I'm faffing about with slivers of felt and tiny scraps of fabric, it doesn't seem like the best time to start experimenting with something new. I've got a second cross to do, so I thought I'd test the alternatives on the slightly larger shapes around the central goldwork ring. I'll see how it goes and report back!

In the mean time, though, I've got the other three legs of the cross to do. I'll let you know when they're finished.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Ruth! Very nice leg!

    Actually, well ... I wasn't suggesting a new approach as much as asking your advice on whether or not you thought it would work, to tack through only part of the felt on the back. I'm getting ready to start an applique piece for a banner (a crown), and I was trying to figure out the best way to attach the ground fabric to a felt base, as you have done here (more or less the same concept...) I haven't tried it - so I don't know if it'll work, but I'm thinking it might.

    I totally agree - if it ain't broke - don't fix it. This is working really well! I can't wait to see the whole cross - it's going to be gorgeous, and I absolutely love the effect of the red-on-red with the two fabrics. Brilliant.

    I'm "plugging" your banner project tomorrow, by the way...

    Best regards,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The project is looking great. Thank you for sharing it with us as you go along. I really enjoy seeing the details and the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a great work!
    I'm around your site since I read Mary's post!
    I'll follow you, surely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautifull job! Thank you for sharing the step by step. I subscribed to your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! It's great to have this wonderful support. Let's all hope it's still looking good at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Just popping in to say that I've found this blog through Mary C's post today, and you're on my blog list now :-). Looking forward to watching the banner develop!
    I'm still on sodding bedrest so not much happening my end!

    ReplyDelete